Saturday, November 28, 2020

Christmas letter 2020

 

Skipping all the cliches about 2020 and world events of this year saves a great deal of rehashing.  I feel a little like a spectator on the lives of everyone else in the world.  I had already started wearing a mask during flu season at the beginning of the year and missed a week or two of church before the pandemic began. While everyone was complaining about restrictions, I continued my post-transplant safe life and kept doing what I was doing, but not going very many places. My knitting, crocheting, sewing/quilting projects have mounted up over the months, although I keep giving them away as new babies have been born in our family and church.

First grandchild: Cecilia Suzanne Bouchard, born to Anthony and Emily in Terrace on March 14. We had originally planned to fly to Terrace, but weren’t able to do so. We met her when her parents (and uncle Bronson) came to Vernon in May/June and stayed with us for a couple of weeks.  Anthony was out of work at the time, but has started work for Great Slave Helicopters. He works in Terrace with occasional trips to Whitehorse and camps in the Yukon. Emily is on maternity leave from daycare.

Second grandchild: Elliot Timothy Young, born to Katrina and Tyler in Surrey on April 15 (10 days early). We met him when his parents came to Vernon at the end of June. Katrina is on maternity leave from teaching high school French and Tyler continues in ministry at SonRise Church as assistant pastor.

The grand cat: Snowball is now about 6 years old. He lives with Bronson in Vancouver, though he has had a couple of extended visits at our house.  Bronson works for Hothead Games and has been working at home, which makes him very isolated. He enjoyed being able to take his work with him and drive to Terrace to spend time with his niece when she was very tiny, as well as coming to Vernon in May/June and Sept/Oct.

Marcel and I are staying well, staying isolated, and mostly staying calm.  At the beginning of Covid, he took time off to keep me safe from the germs he would come into contact with at work.  By June, he was looking forward to retirement, so he went back to work at the mill for a couple of months and officially retired at the beginning of August. While he was back at work, I stayed with my mother and we worked like Canadian beavers on many baby blankets and quilt projects. We felt very fortunate to have the time together at this point in our lives, though we missed getting out to shop.  She has a neighbour who picks up her weekly groceries, and Mom and I maintain our bubble with each other as the only social person in our homes.

I was happy to see friends this summer (outdoors and social distanced) but the people I see most in person are doctors, lab technicians, nurses, and medical receptionists. We grocery shop online and Marcel picks up our order outside the store.  I attend a Zoom LungFit exercise class twice a week via my computer screen and it has been a lot of fun talking to that group. I also have an exercise bike in my basement and get some exercise that way. I haven’t had to see my Vancouver specialists, except on the computer as well.

We wish you all the blessings of the Lord at Christmas and through the year. May we all be safely reunited in the near future!

No comments:

Post a Comment

2019 In Review

 Or, The Adventures of 2018 continued: Merry Christmas!   Happy New Year! This year was a tough one, with a lot of lessons learned.   But ...